Wednesday, April 23, 2008

THE BUDS!


You have to admit, this is the CUTEST picture that I have of my little boy. Daddy put on his tie right before church and we just had to take a picture. Sadly to say we had to take it off before church because the top button was too tight on his neck. YEP this is a 12 month shirt and his neck is too big!

He will be six months on the 1st of May. We just love him so much!!!

SO, the final decision has been made. We ARE getting a helmet for Trevor. We are just waiting for the insurance to approve it so that it will be covered. I am just SICK about the whole thing. For those of you who do not know, Trevor had torticollis. This is where there is tightening on one side of the neck so he would lay on one side only. We discovered this when he was about 2 months. He was getting a really flat spot on his left side of his head. We have been working for the past 4 months on repositioning and trying to get things rounded out. (Man, it takes a lot of effort!!!) I have taken him to doctor after doctor to get things fixed without resorting to the helmet. He is ranked a 5 on a scale of 1-10. I was told that we could wait and it would round out on its own within a year, or we could put him in the helmet and get it over with in 4-6 weeks. Once I found out that my insurance covered it, the decision was made.

To all you new mothers. This CAN be prevented. All you have to do is rotate their head to a different side every time you put them down for a nap. Watch to see if they are favoring one side more than the other. If they are, talk to your doc and have them checked out. Torticollis causes the flat spot.

It is really frustrating for me because this CAN be prevented. No one told me to do this simple thing to prevent the flat spot. So, be aware and tell EVERY mother that has or is having a new baby. Helmets usually are not covered by insurance and they can run from $1800-$2500. Hospitals need to get the word out. It is now a HUGE issue with so many babies because we are supposed to put them on their backs. BUT, nothing is being said or done about getting the word out. I feel that every doctor I have talked with has just blown me off about getting the word out and just wants the extra money!!!! (They just don't make enough I guess!!!!!!!!) We just want what is best for Trevor and want him to be healthy.

9 comments:

Tiffany said...

Deb- I didn't know you had a blog! I found yours through Sabrina's. I've seen babies with the helmets and always wondered what it was all about- that's good to know. Im so glad your insurance covers it!! How are things going??

Debra said...

Wow Deb. Thanks for the heads up. I will have to watch that. You are right. That is the cutest little picture. Love the tie! You're such a good little mommy.

Ghislaine Richards said...

Debby, you have such a cute baby boy. I love the tie. karson was very close to getting a helmet also. He was borderline and still has a flat spot on the back of his head. Good luck with everything. Can you tell Marlaina that I've tried to get on her blog, but I'm not an invited blogger. She wrote on our blog. Thanks!!

Aaron said...

That's a great pic! My older Brother's little boy had to get a helmet too. Tell Toby hello.

Marlaina said...

I'm sorry you have to go through the whole helmet thing! I hope it works quickly! Don't you wish motherhood came with a book of instructions? He's getting so big! Preslyn still can fit in some of her 0-3 month clothes!

Ghislaine Richards said...

Debbie we should do a bbq. Send me your email address and we can exchange numbers and i'll call you so we can set something up. My email is ghislainerichards@hotmail.com
It would be fun to get together!

Marlaina said...

Debbie, are you still planning to come to Vegas? Call me!

JamieD said...

Debby- It seems so ridiculous to not have seen you out and about so I have to resort to commenting on my NEXT DOOR NEIGHBORS's blog!!! Silly- I know you guys are busy and we've been busy too. Taya and Ellie had a nice conversation out my window on Sat, but I was being mean and wouldn't let her out of the house until she did chores..needless to say it was a loooooongg day for us:)
Anyway how is the whole Trevor thing going? Please call me anytime or come over, if I don't hear the bell just yell in my window and I'[ll come down :) I miss talking to you and hanging out with the kids.. Lets plan on that soon ok? Lets plan that BBQ here. Hope you're all well. I will talk to you soon.
love ya guys

Joanna McGuire said...

I love your blog it is very cute. It was so much fun to visit with you tonight and get to know you better. I am glad that I get to come and visit you every month. Looking at the pictures of trevor I can kind of tell on that left side his head is a little flat. I am glad you guys got the helmet.